Welcome to Outline: simple yet powerful knowledge management app
Outline is an intuitive note-taking application for OS X with convenient structure resembling real paper books: notebooks, sections, groups of sections and pages help to keep order in notes, regardless of their complexity.
Outline is perfect for students, teachers, physicians, lawyers, executives and everyone who's daily life involves extensive note-taking of any kind. It can be coupled with Outline for iPad and
Microsoft OneNote, which makes notes multi-platform.
**Enjoy your notes**
Type anywhere on a page. Much like in a good old paper notebook you just do it your way, without the constraints of a tool! Limits are a thing of the past: arrange your ideas in Outline as they grow and populate the canvas, wherever they may lie.
**Organize your data**
The flawless organization of Outline visually portrays the hierarchy of your ideas. Create pages, sections and groups of sections within a notebook and have them customized to that specific subject. You won't get lost, but pleased with the simplicity of such structure.
**Make your notes awesome**
Use various formatting: сhange font size and color, apply styles and highlighting, create numbered and bulleted lists, tables and hyperlinks. Visualize your notes with associative icons - add tags, create To-do lists not to miss a thing.
**Attach files and insert printouts**
To collect related documents in one place, add them as file attachments. PDF files can be inserted as printouts for annotation. This way Outline becomes a universal tool for storing and working with your data.
**Protect your notes**
Sensitive data deserves special attention and security. You are free to choose where to store your data with Outline - locally or in your favorite cloud. Section password protection will keep your information safe using industry standard encryption algorithms. You have fine grained control when to automatically lock protected sections.
**Be mobile with Outline for iPad**
Get the desktop grade experience with this beautiful and powerful iPad app. You will find the same features in the smaller form factor. Do not forget to try inks!
NOTE: Outline for iPad and Outline for Mac are separate, though, fully compatible applications. In case you would like to use Outline both on your iPad and Mac, you need to equip your devices with the corresponding editions of Outline.
**Use with Microsoft OneNote**
Outline works with local OneNote files on your iPad or Mac. you can also synchronize with OneDrive or Sharepoint to can collaborate on notes with colleagues who use OneNote.
Microsoft OneNote file format support:
▪ OneNote 2010+ - supported
▪ OneNote 2007 - read-only
▪ OneNote 2003 - not supported
Microsoft Sync Services support:
▪ SharePoint on-premise 2010+ - supported
▪ OneDrive Personal - supported
▪ OneDrive for Business - supported
▪ SharePoint Online - not fully supported at the moment, you can access only top level site
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter and stay updated!
Your questions, comments and feature requests are kindly welcome at our Support Centre: [email protected]
Release notes - Outline - Version 3.2103
- Improved accuracy of the cursor positioning in text when you move up/down.
- Cursor sticks to a line beginning/end when moving up/down in text, if it has been set using mouse or home/end key.
- LOT of improvements in selection from keyboard logic (shift + arrows). Lots of bugs has been fixed and logic has been reworked.
- Selection makes a stop in the beginning and the end of outline/table cell.
- Move up/down after selection should position cursor at the x coordinates of active selection edge.
- It is possible now to discard selection by Esc key.
- Cell content selection state is restored after discarding cell selection with Esc (usefull when you accidentally selected whole cell with shift+down).
- It is possible to select images and attachments from keybord now.
- Unified cursor look with iOS version. It is blue and a bit thicker now for better contrast/visibility.
- Added keyboard shortcuts to move in the beginning and end of paragraph (alt+arrow up/down).
- Logic to move cursor to the end/begining of a word has been improved.
- Page is scrolled now when you continue selection from keyboard and it gets out of visible page area.
- Page title in page list is now determined based on attachment name if there is no other content
- Fixed handling of hyperlinks (has been incorrectly encoded in some situations)
- It is now possible to insert space after image or table (if it is last in outline) by using Enter key. Also works if such an object is first in outline.
- Improved table rendering accuracy. All visible borders are always 1px thick now.
- Focused cell border is thicker now for better contrast/visibility.
- Home/End handing in a table. Changes focused cell if needed.
- Apple Silicon support.
- Fixed sidecar integration that allows adding photos and scetches from iOS devices.
- Dropbox SDK has been updated.
- Tables pasted from excel should always have visible borders.
- Removed ".one" label from notebook's cover.
- Text parts separated by "." should be selected as separate words.
General Bug Fixes
- Fixed some problems with Box integration.
- PDF print-out has been blurry is rare cases (when using external monitor with specific scaling).
- Import PDF printout as split pages worked incorrectly.
- Incorrect Emoji selection in some cases (selected half of Emoji).
- Undo of line break in page title worked incorrectly.
- Do not copy indent of first line to clipboard if selection starts not from beginning.
- Many other smaller bugs fixed here and there.
Thank you for reading. Please support our efforts by rating the app on the AppStore.